Jooje's House of Hockey Sticks

I have a vast collection of Hockey Sticks, so I decided to devote a blog to them... Come here for information and links to my favourite stick manufacuters, and sticks that I own.

15.1.05

Broken Hearts Club

I went to the Sarnia Sting vs Kitchener Rangers OHL game last night at the Aud... I, of course, was cheering loudly for Sarnia, because I grew up there, but, more importantly, they weren't the Rangers and it's oh, so fun to cheer against the home crowd...

Sarnia looked good, controlling the first 2 periods of play, but a few penalties killed them in the third. The eventually tied it up, but lost in OT. I took my mockery like a man, and went out for slurpees with Matt. I had noticed that #7 on the Sting was skating like me all night(which is not a complement) and on the play that ended the game, it was he, #7, who could not catch up with his man to stop the 2 on 1. What a chump.

All in all, it was a good game, much more entertaining that last weeks Brampton game. The Sting were almost all using Easton Synergy Grip sticks, bright yellow to match their jerseys. One guy used a stick that appeared to be one of the new Synergy SL or ST's that are still in their product testing phase (Danny Syvret used one at WJHC), but as the game wore on, I think he just spraypainted the bottom part of his synergy black...

On the night, I believe the broken stick count was 7 in total... So, if those sticks were bought for retail price, it would have cost the teams about $1750... Luckilly, they get pro stock sticks (probably made lighter/making them less durable) which come quite cheap to them.

On another note, there were 3 occasions where someone lost his mouthguard on the ice. The ref didn't want to pick it up, so he just kicked it into the net. The goalie appeared to be anal about having anything in his net, so the next whistle, he made the ref get it off the ice.

All in all, it was a good time, and a nice distraction during the NHL lockout. OHL hockey aint that bad.